How can we improve SQL Backup?

Prevent "Refresh" repositioning the Activity History List

This is an OLD problem that is still VERY annoying in EAP5.

When reviewing the activity history and having scrolled down several pages, along comes "Refresh Connection" and promptly repositions the list at page 1. WHY? I don't want to be on page 1, I want to be on the CURRENT page.

Please, do something to stop this wasting our time and making the product look bad!

13 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Stephen shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  AdminSQL Backup (Admin, Red Gate Software) responded  · 

My apologies that we’ve been so quiet on this: finding a feasible approach has been tricky (as per Stephen Chambers’ original response).

However, there is now a patch build of SQL Backup Pro UI, that should address this issue.

This has had enough testing that I’m comfortable making it available as a private build. It’s on the FTP site here:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLBackup/12Mar2014/SQL%20Backup_7.6.0.36_x86_r232390_232784_e72c2d01fb13.exe

Important: this includes a new build of the SQL Backup Pro server components, and whilst this is unchanged from the current shipping version, it’s not been tested; so people should not upgrade their server components with this build.

Please let me know how you get on with this.

Best regards,

Colin.

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stephen commented  · 

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Build installed without issue.

Positioned list about 4 pages down the Activity History, where there ware tasks that completed with retries. I can see the page refresh but it re-positions correctly every time, until an additional backup job completes and pushes the list down a line. Minor behavioral nuance, not a problem unless you have so many backup jobs that the page scrolls quickly.

• Stephen commented  · 

22-month anniversary follow-up...

We're on 7.6.x and this ridiculously productivity-inhibiting behavior is STILL tarnishing a good product.

ANY chance 2014 might see this carbuncle disappear?

• Stephen commented  · 

@Stephen Chambers - You expressed the "assurance" that this pain in the backside of a usability issue would be addressed in 7.1. Well, having just installed 7.4.0.186 and continue to "enjoy" (endure! Arghh!) the idiotic forced refresh, I wonder if SOMEONE at Red Gate can tell us when this lunacy might end, PLEASE?

Even the soon to be lamented, soon dearly departed, SQL Profiler lets us turn scrolling on and off. Surely being at least as good as Microsoft is something of a motivator... :-)

• Brad Hoff commented  · 

If we could even have the option to just pause the refreshing, that would at least help!

• AdminStephen Chambers (Admin, Red Gate Software) commented  · 

Hi Stephen,

thank you for your feedback and I’m very sorry the refresh behaviour is causing this issue for you. The Dev team have looked into the repositioning behaviour and I'm afraid we won't be able to get a fix in on time for the v7.0 release which is scheduled for next month. Unfortunately, the code changes required turn out to be quite large due to the refresh behaviour of the Activity History being closely tied into the refreshing of the SQL Backup UI as a whole.

I've added it to our bug tracking system and flagged it for review when we begin working on v7.1 which will be almost immediately after the release of v7.0.

Kind regards,

Stephen

Feedback and Knowledge Base