How can we improve SQL Backup?

Allow backups in the history of another server be the selection for a restore.

When selecting a file for a restore, you can choose backup history or the file browser. It would be nice if you could pick a file in the backup history of a server, but choose a different server as the target for the restore.

For instance, when you're using the restore wizard.
- You "right click and press restore on server Dev1.
- Choose select from backup history
- Pick the server you want the backup from and the database you want to restore. choose the file or set of files that interest you from the backup history
- Press next and verify/check the backups are right.
- In destination database (currently not possible) Select the server you would like to restore to.
- pick overwrite or create new as is currently.
- complete final steps as usual.

The break down only has one difference from how the product currently works and that's that when you pick a backup from the history, you are stuck with that server and cannot pick another.
I know the stored procs can do this so it could be that the front end just needs to be modified to allow you to select a target server.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Justin Whaley shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Young60532 commented  · 

Best practice is to test your restores (Grant even has a video on that) and you should do that on a non-production server. It's ridiculous to expect that we will buy another license to test and confirm the recovery process. The ability to restore to a different server via a schedule is an essential need. The product should be "you can only back-up one server per license, but you can restore to any server."

• Schaeffer1123 commented  · 

I suggest you get away from the non reliable data backup solutions. Your data is sensitive and it needs to be stored only in secured Data storage plan. I recommend you to try Free CloudBacko pro IT Solution. While choosing a good data storage mode please ensure that it can support your operating system. Free CloudBacko pro supports Windows, Linux, Mac, etc. You must also need ease and conveniency in storing your data. Free Cloudbacko pro have these both the features you dont have to install the Cloudbacko pro you can directly login from your social media account

• John Lillie commented  · 

This ability seems to be there if you manually go into the Register and edit it. that seems to be unnecessary.

Feedback and Knowledge Base