How can we improve SQL Backup?

Support for Availability Groups - Backup from secondary read only replica

We now have 3 SQL servers with all of our production databases in availability groups. We want to use the HA functionality within SQL 2012 to backup from one of the secondary SQL servers instead of the primary. Please Please Please can you add support for this functionality.

39 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    DipakDipak shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Matthew FrewMatthew Frew commented  · 

yes - would love to offload some or all of our backup workloads from the primary node to secondaries, while also truncating trxn logs (as they would if backed up from Primary).

• BriceBrice commented  · 

Backup on a secondary and backup up to URL are two key features this software is missing. Please add both features at your earliest opportunity. These features will make your product just that much better.

I know of a 3rd party sproc that allows both features and works brilliantly. Just cant use the sproc with URL in SQL Backup Pro.

• Don FergusonDon Ferguson commented  · 

This works find for me as long as I use the copy only option.

• Eddie DavisEddie Davis commented  · 

Further information, there is a patch for SQL Backup that will allow a backup of replica database that is a member of an always-on availability group and allow the ERASEFILES and COPYTO processes to run.

The patch suppresses SQL Error 976 that is generated so that the ERASEFILES and COPYTO processes will run.

There is still the need to create the SkipChecks registry key by creating a DWORD registry entry, SkipChecks, with the value 1. This entry needs to be created in the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Red Gate\SQL Backup\BackupSettingsGlobal\<instance name>

registry node.

Please contact the support team, [support@red-gate.com] who will provide details of where to download the patch and instructions on how to install.

PLEASE NOTE: The Backup of a replica database will report successful with warnings. The backup process will still generate a warning, Warning 167: Failed to get database size from server.

Many Thanks
        Eddie Davis

Red Gate Software
        Product Support Engineer

• DipakDipak commented  · 

Still waiting...

• Bob BairdBob Baird commented  · 

This would be a fantastic feature to have available.

I agree with Dipak - please can you add support for this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base