How can we improve SQL Backup?

Make Activity History Loading Not Suck

On my SQL Cluster when I try to view the activity history it can take a very very long time for the activity history to populate. There has to be a way to improve this performance.

15 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric RenkenEric Renken shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • RobertRobert commented  · 

Oops, in my item 2), I meant to say SQL Backup, not SQL Monitor.

• RobertRobert commented  · 

So there are three locations where backup and restore history are being kept: 1) in the msdb database on the target server, 2) in SQL Monitor's Compact database on the target server, and 3) in the Activity Cache on the client side where the UI is installed. I looked at the Compact database and the Activity Cache and both of those are around 120 MB for one of my servers. So the size of these local caches may also be playing a part in the performance.

The issue I have with this "Delete backup and restore history" feature in the Server Options dialog, is that it tries to clean out the history in all 3 locations. I have a standard maintenance plan in SQL Server that manages the backup history in my msdb databases. I don't need backup history in msdb being deleted from the SQL Backup UI. The retention of backup history in the Compact database and the Activity Cache needs to be decoupled from the retention in msdb. I should be able to define that I only want 1 week of history to be kept in the Compact database and Activity Cache, while keeping 4 weeks of history in msdb, or vice versa.

Feedback and Knowledge Base