How can we improve SQL Backup?

Handle exit code 882 (missing database)

If we drop a database that is part of a backup job, the job will start failing, and the only error message we get is exit code 882 (which doesn't seem to be documented) and no SQL error. Just running through the wizard again does fix the job, but it would be nice if the error were easier to diagnose by providing more useful text or at least having exit code 882 in the documentation.

11 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Brian Parker shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Flouis commented  · 

When a database sets Offline, SQL BACKUP launches an error code 882 (which a false alert for me) . In addition, it is not nice to pass the list of the databases manually in SQLBackupC.exe -SQL "BACKUP DATABASES [db1,db2,db2,...] TO DISK = 'C:\Backups\<AUTO>'". When you write the "*" in the following query: SQLBackupC.exe -SQL "BACKUP DATABASES [*] TO DISK = 'C:\Backups\<AUTO>'", it doesn't really exclude the offlined databases during the backup.It launches the 882 error instead.

• Andreas commented  · 

Same here.
        Documentation is unfortunately missing error codes - 882 is one example.
        (Luckily due to this post I was able to identify and resolve an issue we ran into without having to contact support)

• Ray commented  · 

I concur.

Feedback and Knowledge Base