How can we improve SQL Backup?

backup to ftp and google drive, one drive, dropbox...

backup to ftp and google drive, one drive, dropbox...

26 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    nhatonlynhatonly shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

Just use this simple tool SQLBackupAndFTP (http://sqlbackupandftp.com/) to make scheduled SQL Server backups to ftp and google drive, one drive, dropbox and other destinations.

• Anonymous commented  · 

backup to ftp and google drive, one drive, dropbox...This feature is really very essential and very useful, please consider to upgrade

• TonyTony commented  · 

Using a file share means that you have to have a copy of the folder you are backing up to on the server/machine that is hosting SQL server. This requires hard drive space, which on a machine hosting SQL server is usually a premium - we certainly don't want the hard drive space being taken up with backups of databases, we'd rather have it on cloud based storage somewhere. We'd like to use Redgate for this (since we use a number of your software packages) but since it can't be done, we'll have to use another piece of software.

If you are planning on making a change to your backup software to enable this, please let me know, I'll make sure we switch to you as soon as we can then.

• Colin MillerchipAdminColin Millerchip (Admin, Red Gate Software) commented  · 

Thanks for the suggestion. Some services like Google Drive and Dropbox can appear as local file shares - is there anything specific that you need for these services? (I appreciate that ftp doesn't necessarily work like this, although there are 3rd party tools that can provide this capability)

Feedback and Knowledge Base