How can we improve SQL Backup?

Support for Backup to Azure Blob Storage

Starting with SQL Server 2012 SP1 CU2 users have had the ability to backup databases to a URL. This functionality is backwards compatible (through the GUI, but not T-SQL) to 2008. However, prior to SQL 2014, there was no way to encrypt backups without using transparent data encryption. What would be a really nice to have is the ability to backup a database to Azure blob storage. This would likely need to be a local backup that was moved to Azure, but it could use the native encryption in SQL Backup.

25 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Joey D'AntoniJoey D'Antoni shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • GlenGlen commented  · 

I would really like to see a way to either backup to Azure as a Blob, or duplicate a database directly to Azure SQL services as a form of backup, as well.

As an option, currently, for those that may want to take advantage of sending a backup to Azure as a Blob file, we currently use a product called Backup4All which has a number of cloud storage options, including Azure, included. We use it for our file server backups at the moment, and easily could be incorporated as a way to throw your data files up on Azure as well, once the SQL backup has completed.

It does mean a 2 part solution, as opposed to 1, but would make it possible.

• SQL BackupAdminSQL Backup (Admin, Red Gate Software) commented  · 

At the moment, we’re holding off on adding any further cloud storage options to SQL Backup Pro. There are various ways in which backup to Azure (or other cloud storage service) can be achieved fairly easily outside of SQL Backup, for eg, both Azure and AWS provide command-line tools that can help here (ref. https://azure.microsoft.com/en-gb/documentation/articles/storage-azure-cli/ , http://docs.aws.amazon.com/cli/latest/reference/s3/sync.html ). Obviously we’ll keep our eyes open to customer feedback in this area.
        [I've also cleaned out as much of the spam as I can spot.]

• StephenStephen commented  · 

SICK OF SEEING THIS "A***y" GARBAGE - politely, "Go troll elsewhere..."

On to more serious matters, can Red Gate give us any feedback on this simple proposition because it has been on the record for over 15 months now...

Thanks.

• Joey D'AntoniJoey D'Antoni commented  · 

For clarity that that is encrypt a backup and send it up to Azure.

Feedback and Knowledge Base